With assistance from the St. Joseph County Hotel-Motel Tax Board, Visit South Bend Mishawaka (VSBM) has contributed $500,000 in funding to benefit the advancement of St. Joseph County (SJC) as a tourism destination. Funded projects will improve visitor experience while providing critical assistance toward tourism product development. The Tourism Capital Development Fund is in its second year and continues to grow, helping to fund six projects in 2019:
- Ice Box’s improved technology to host larger hockey tournaments.
- South Bend International Airport’s softscape improvements to the terminal and concourse.
- Venues Parks and Arts’ installation of a zipline across the St. Joe River in downtown South Bend.
- Potawatomi Zoo’s installation of a White Rhino exhibit.
- The History Museum’s relocation of Navarre Cabin from Leeper Park to the museum campus.
- Historic New Carlisle’s office relocation and museum expansion.
“We are thrilled to be selected as a recipient of the Tourism Capital Development Fund. SBN serves as the first and last impression for many visitors to St. Joseph County. The funds will allow us to expedite the improved aesthetics and user experience while providing a first-class experience for all visitors,” said Mike Daigle, CEO & executive director of the South Bend International Airport.
Pat McMahon of the Ice Box said, “Over the last several years our local indoor ice rinks have achieved significant success in attracting regional and national tournaments. Joint scheduling, great ice, our central Midwest location and a large, welcoming hospitality industry have allowed us to become a premier site. More recently, we have learned that our attractiveness to tournament organizers will be impacted by our facility's ‘connectivity’. The 2019 Tourism Capital Development Fund grant will allow us to not just retain, but to grow this activity.”
“Overall, this $500,000 investment in tourism product will result in an overall investment of 1.425 million to the destination," said Rob DeCleene, executive director of Visit South Bend Mishawaka.